Sunday, May 18, 2014

In Search of Cinnamon Rolls

Though the forecast called for rain both days, this weekend was surprisingly lovely. I have a resolution to take advantage of "good enough" days for sailing, rather than waiting for the elusive perfect day with both sun and wind. So when I noticed the wind at 11 knots on Saturday morning and rain not forecast until late afternoon, we jumped on the chance for a quick day sail to Eagle Harbor in search of lunch and cinnamon rolls at our one of our favorite bakeries.

The wind died again shortly after we got out to the water, but we were able to sail quite a bit (dropping from 5 knots per hour to 4.5 to 4 to 3) before deciding that we needed lunch and that there was still a possibility of making it to Bainbridge Bakers before they closed the kitchen at 2 - but only if we started the engine. While I hate to shatter the calm, I get hangry when my blood sugar drops - and trust me, you don't want to see me when I get hangry. Summer hours had begun, so the kitchen was actually open until 4, but we would have been there just in the nick of time either way.

We got dessert first - a cranberry pull-apart cinnamon roll. Trent ordered the last meatball sandwich. It was a bit too messy to share, but I trusted his report that it was "good". I chose the turkey pesto panini, which comes on thick delicious bread alongside potato chips and a pickle spear. Yum, yum, yummy! Last time I ordered the same thing and made the tactical error of eating all but a bite or two. This time, I saved half for later. Apparently only about half the people who order it succeed in eating the entire sandwich in one sitting. My mocha with light whip was decadent without the cloyingly sweet flavor found in so many sweetened drinks.

Two rounds of Bananagrams later, we headed home, just in time for erratic winds and a sprinkle of rain. We motored to avoid the frustration of flying a spinnaker at glacial speed. What a day!

What is your favorite Saturday adventure?

No comments: