Monday, May 26, 2014

Favorite Books (so far) of 2014

I can safely say that I am addicted to books. Earlier this year, I committed to slowing down my reading pace, yet I have still read 79 books - not including picture books - since January 1st. While I will likely not hit the 212 books of 2013 or the 253 of 2012, it still gives me a lot of great choices to share with my friends and family. And as a firm believer in using library resources, all of the links point to SPL's site, unless otherwise specified.

Fiction
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. 1800s female botanist goes to Tahiti to try to solve the mystery of her husband. If I believed in synchronicity, I would think the world was pushing me toward a visit to the South Pacific.

The Way Men Act by Elinor Lipman (okay, this one is out of print, so you'll have to get it elsewhere - but locally, Sno-Isle Libraries owns it). Malinda moves home to her small town, feeling a failure at age 30. I adore Lipman's flawed and witty characters and the way she writes relationships.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Charming - professor with Asperger syndrome embarks on "the wife project" and finds someone completely opposite of his plans.

Non-Fiction
Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life by Graham Nash. Crosby, Stills and Nash (with or without Young) is the soundtrack of my childhood and boy, can Nash tell a story! While I read this in print, I would suggest (based on listening to the Fresh Air interview) listening to this in audio.

An Island to Oneself: the Story of Six Years on a Desert Island by Tom Neale. One of our readalouds, I was disappointed to have to turn it in before we'd finished it and overjoyed to find it on my sister's book shelf on my last visit.

Writing is My Drink by Theo Pauline Nestor. Memoir of a writing life - of finding your voice with tips and writing prompts. This is the writing book that got my gears turning. It doesn't hurt that Nestor is a local author.

Delancey: A Man, a Woman, a Restaurant, a Marriage by Molly Wizenberg. Reading of the opening of this Seattle restaurant makes me want to dream big (and also finally head out there to try some of their famous pizza).

Children's Books
Lord and Lady Bunny: Almost Royalty by Polly Horvath. Horvath has a quirky and acerbic humor that wins me over every time and this sequel is no exception.

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. I wanted to resist this "heartwarming" book about Willow, an orphan with some social disorder finding new family - but it won me over in the end.

Looking over my list, I'm surprised that no teen fiction has made the cut - but I haven't been reading as much of it lately, though I'm sure I'll pick it up again later in the year.

What books should I read this summer? I choose through most books through blogs and reviews, but I'm always looking for personal suggestions.

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Thank you for your recommendations. I have too many piles of unread books already, but I can't resist adding a few of your titles. Especially An Island to Oneself.

I read a lot, but have to admit that I. find very few books to rave over. Here are a few recent reads that I did like:
Letters of Note
At Home in Mitford (I am rereading this series before I pass my paperbacks to my sister-in-law; and before Jan Karon's newest book comes out in September)
A Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (about a bookstore owner -- irresistable for that reason alone)
Ordinary Grace by William Krueger
A Fine Romance: Falling in Love with the English Countryside by Susan Branch
Hold Fast by Blue Balliett
We Are Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Jay Fowler

bicycling librarian said...

Thanks for the suggestions Rosemary. I've just ordered A Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (I've enjoyed a couple of Zevin's teen books already) and We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (which I've been resisting for awhile, even though I've read great reviews.

Rosemary said...

Oh, I just read another that made me think of you because it's about sailing among other things. Brian Doyle's The Plover. It's really quite magical. Extraordinary vocabulary. Very long paragraphs. But I just gave in to it and loved it.