Saturday, July 22, 2017

Come Sail Away: Our Sailing Soundtrack (plus bonus sailing pics)

As the sun finally dips below the horizon, we retreat to the cozy confines of the cabin below to check the wind forecast and current predictions for the next day. A disembodied voice breaks out "Bluetooth mode..." (avion? has been turned on? is now on? has begun? something in French?) before finally pairing and broadcasting the mellow sounds of Crosby, Stills & Nash.

We have often lamented the fact that Rock Lobster does not have a sound system. Installing speakers to the logical space in the stern could interfere with navigation. In the past, we've relied solely on whatever earworm prompts me to sing aloud to be our soundtrack, but this year, I brought along the Bluetooth speaker my grandmother gave me for Christmas (thanks Grandma!). This simple addition added so much joy to our journey.

Library nerd enthusiast that I am, we populated our playlist in advance with nautically-themed music from hoopla, one of the streaming music/video resources offered by both Sno-Isle Libraries and the Seattle Public Library.

Our playlist included:
  • "Rock Lobster" (B-52s) - this inspired a dance party in our living room at 11 p.m. a few days before our voyage began
  • "Sloop John B" (Beach Boys)
  • "Southern Cross" (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
  • "Come Sail Away" (Styx)
  • "Sail Away" (Enya)
Sadly, I was unable to add Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone", which I sing with altered lyrics whenever we see a yellow separation zone buoy. Ah well, I suppose that is one way I can still make myself useful as the designated singer on the boat...







No comments: