Sunday, September 28, 2014

Embrace Fall

The longer I live, the more I notice how much my mood is affected by the daylight. With the equinox passed, I've been strategizing how to avoid spending all of my free time baking, roasting, and simmering soup or curled up on the couch reading a book or napping. While I feel that a little bit of nesting is healthy and cozy, I have a tendency to go overboard.

Last year, my mom discovered the Lightphoria and promptly gave one to me (the original plan was to give it as a Christmas present, but it arrived in November with a note, "it's too good to wait!"). Whether it is the placebo effect or not, last year I noticed a boost in energy and wished I'd had one as the season turned. I'm giving it a workout again, pulling it out for 15 minutes or so on mornings when I wake up in the darkness - right now during the week, as I regularly rise at 5:30, but soon I'll need it weekends too.

In past seasons, I've been inspired by Rosemary, one of my library blogging friends (find her blog here) who has made a number of to-do lists for each season. I've decided to follow her lead and create my own ways to embrace fall.
  • Drink a seasonal cafe drink
  • Kick leaves
  • Bake a pie
  • Dry apples (using a borrowed dehydrator that has been sitting unused in the closet since last Thanksgiving)
  • Buy apple cider at the Farmer's Market
  • Bake pumpkin scones
  • Bake apple pie biscuits
  • Try two new soup recipes
  • Knit a poncho
  • Have a harvest party (which may double as my birthday party)
What's on your autumn list? Do you have any soups to recommend?

P.S. I'll be continuing my vacation series, with the intent of posting twice a week until I'm finished. One post with my current musings and the other a vacation recap.

2 comments:

Rosemary Washington said...

What a surprise to see a link to my blog in your post today! Thank you.

I think I will order one of those seasonal lamps. It's 6 a.m. and I am just about ready to leave the house to run in the dark.

Right now I am pondering what NEW things I can try this fall season. Yesterday I made salsa for the first time with my small harvest of cherry tomatoes. Last fall I discovered how much I like kale. I'm motivated to stretch myself with some more new things in my life.

Happy Fall.

bicycling librarian said...

Rosemary, I'm glad it was a happy surprise! I always enjoy reading about your seasonal adventures, so I thought I'd share with others too.

Do you have any favorite kale recipes?