Sunday, July 6, 2014

Green Lake is My Playground

When we first moved to our Tangletown house, I was disappointed that we didn't have a larger lot. I grew up in a house with a lot 1/3 of an acre (which presents its own difficulties) and to me part of home ownership was having a big back yard to retreat to on sunny days. I've since realized that I have something even better - a whole lake to call my own.

Green Lake is a short 3/4 mile distance away and I make the journey 3-4 times a week, either by bike or foot. Last week when the temperature reached the 90s (hot for Seattle, though nothing compared to most of the rest of the country), I sauntered to the lake with sundress over swimming suit to swim a few laps. What an absolutely perfect activity for a record-breaking day of heat. The first dip was tentative, walking up to chest level before pausing to shiver, dunk and shriek - then bliss. Most of the water was downright warm (far enough away from the other swimmers that I didn't have to worry that I was in a pee patch), but every once in a while there'd be a cold patch. I'm noticeably out of swimming shape and I was tired after just 15 or 20 minutes, so I wrapped a towel around me and meandered back home. There were plenty of sights to see along the way, including an adventurer on a slack line stretched between two trees across the water, the crowd cheering him along. By the time I walked through my door, my hair was almost dry.

I'm always surprised if I don't see someone I know when circling the lake - either from the library world, church or the neighborhood. Some days I see 2 or 3 people from different parts of my life converging in one place.

And what a great spot for people watching. I keep a running tally of things "seen & heard at Green Lake" including:
Tired mom: "Kids, don't eat the rocks" And again in a slightly more desperate tone, "please don't eat the rocks".

Boy to Dad: "Dad, I don't mind getting my pants wet," as he wades deeper into the water.
Dad: "I mind".
Whining ensues.

Man bicycling with a large cat on his shoulder.

A sad older woman carrying an 8 x 10 framed photo.

A guitar player busking. Initially I am inspired to learn more guitar so that I too can play outside on a sunny day without hurting anyone's ears. Later, I hear him spouting obscenities and insulting people as they walk by. "I'm going to have to take a short break before I go insane," he mumbles.

I love this lake! So much in fact, that I couldn't even write this post in one sitting - I had to take a break to run around it.


No comments: