Sunday, June 22, 2014

Summer solstice

What a start to the summer! I hope that yesterday's fun sets the tone for the rest of the season. Running, walking, biking, sailing. Herons, Brewer's blackbirds and crows. Painted, nearly nude bicyclists with parade watchers darting through the throngs in search of a better viewing point. Friends, fabulous food and Farmer's markets. A perfect strawberry - the taste of summer. Grilling paneer and andouille on Rock Lobster, narrowly avoiding deep-sixing the food or the grill into Puget Sound. Sun shining 16 hours before slipping below the Olympics, while we sailed towards the sunset. The sweet gloaming time with the last remaining rays sparkling on the waters.

I am sleepier than normal today though, feeling hungover by the sun (minus the headache and nausea, but with the nagging feeling that I might have overdone it). My nose, forehead and shoulders are red, despite the sunscreen I applied. I'm slowly waking up to a new glorious day though, with a cup of Assam with allspice and a bacon and gouda breakfast sandwich. A vanilla candle flickers near my mug, reminding of my intention to meditate every day (though in reality, I've probably only done so 10-15 times in my life). I'm contemplating the potential adventures of this bright new day. Some writing, weights, church and more tea and after that, no concrete plans reminding me of the luxurious summers of my youth.

How did you spend your first summer day? What will you do on your summer vacation?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, it was a wonderful day in Seattle. After a challenging bus transfer downtown, I made it the West Seattle on the Rapid Line C. Got off at 35th and Barton SW and wandered the little pea patch there. Then walked down to the Sound, past the Fauntleroy ferry dock, to Lincoln Park, then along Beach Drive and Alki. Lunch of gyros and Greek fries at Christos. Then resumed my walk around Alki to Harbor Ave. Walked across the lower bridge to Marginal Way, then past the loading docks to the ferry terminal downtown. Finally the bus ride home.

bicycling librarian said...

What an adventure! I grew up in West Seattle, but I don't think the pea patch was there when I was.

I've been enjoying following your walk around Seattle on your blog.