Sunday, March 16, 2014

Do One Thing Everyday That Scares You

"Do one thing everyday that scares you".
I first became aware of the Eleanor Roosevelt quote a few years ago through the book My Year With Eleanor by Noelle Hancock, one of those oh-so-popular do-something-unusual-for-a-year-and-write-a-book-about-it-books. It's a premise that I want to embrace more fully.

In fact, my domestic weekend (spent blissfully Farmer's Marketing, running, eating Turkish food and watching The Grand Budapest Hotel with friends, plus cooking an early St. Patrick's Day Dinner) seems mighty tame, especially considering the documentary Trent and I watched last week. Maidentrip is the story of fourteen year-old Laura Dekker from Holland who sailed single-handed around the world. When the story was actually in the news, it seemed foolhardy - that no person that young could make that decision. After watching the film, my outlook changed completely - it would have been a shame to keep her from her dream. And most impressive to me is that she realized at such a young age that life is about appreciating the journey, not reaching a destination.

I'm feeling a little uneasy in my comfortable life - like I've done everything (with the exception of having children) that society expects and I need a new challenge. It's as though I'm getting ready for something, the exact nature of which still eludes me. So as I try to capture a thought that is just on the tip of my tongue or my brain, I count the number of scary things in my life that may help me grow:

  • traveling to a new country
  • volunteering in a direct service organization
  • seeking out more intense sailing experiences
  • taking classes in writing or radio
  • figure out my one unusual thing to do for a year and write about it
While we won't be packing up and moving to a sailboat or biking across the country anytime soon, both options certainly are fun to dream about. What are your "someday" fantasies? Do any of them scare you?

No comments: